Ngala Beach Lodge Catches Fire

Part of Ngala Beach Lodge, on the shores of Lake Malawi in Nkhotakota, was razed down by fire yesterday. The fire has completely burnt down the main lodge building before it was put out by the owners with help from staff using buckets and water from the swimming pool.

“It is true that part of our lodge caught fire yesterday.” Dan James, owner of the lodge confirmed to Akometsi.

The fire was started by a spark from the lodge’s clay pizza oven that was blown onto the thatched roof by the strong Mwera winds from the lake. Due to the wind, the fire spread so quickly.

Remains of Ngala Lodge after catching fire

The lodge had no guests at the time. Apart from the kitchen, bar and restaurant, no other part of the lodge was affected. The owner estimates that only 20% of the lodge has been affected.

“On a positive note, no one was hurt in the fire and we also have insurance and we will be processing this as soon as possible. We hope to build a temporary structure for the kitchen and restaurant and we will be up and running again in a week or so.” Dan explained.

Ngala Beach Lodge is one of Malawi’s best kept secrets. It is nicely located on beautiful beaches of Lake Malawi, offering views of both the lake and Viphya Mountains with both sunrise and sunset over the water.

The lodge offers accommodation in 11 rooms, a dormitory and camping space. They recently reopened for reservations with strict social distancing measures in place.

%d bloggers like this: