By Duncan Kaonga
The Presidential Taskforce on Covid-19 has cleared the Malawi National Football team to go ahead with its preparations for Cosafa tournament and African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers.
Confirming the development yesterday during a joint press briefing with Minister of Information, Gospel Kazako in Lilongwe, Co-chair person for the Taskforce Dr. John Phuka says the committee is still banging heads on the resumption of other sporting disciplines in the country.
“What is key to our discussion today was sports, when do we open sports? we are looking at this thing further as we want to look clear at the guidelines for all set activities but in the meantime the committee has agreed to allow the suggestion that came from the technical level that the national team start training in readiness for international engagements,” Said Phuka.
Dr. Phuka added that the committee will on Thursday next week come up with the exact information on when the country’s elite league can resume its games and also if they will include spectators.
Earlier this month the Taskforce recommended the re-opening of schools and the country’s airspace.
In his remarks, Minister of Information, Kazako said government will continue to monitor the situation to ensure all Covid-19 protocols are followed.
Recently there has been a drop in the number of new Covid-19 cases, coupled with low deaths and an improved recovery rate.
The delay in sports resumption in the country has prompted football diehards to organize demonstrations calling for football to return.